Minutes of Parish Meetings
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting - June 2003
1. PC Richard Baker. The Chairman, Richard de Horsey was delighted to welcome PC Richard Baker to the meeting as Girton's new Community Beat Manager. PC Baker has local knowledge of the area as he was working previously on the Histon Sector. He recognised residents' concerns over the perceived 'faceless police station' and general communication problems with the police and hoped to address both these issues. The recent speed survey carried out in the village showed that at peak times the speeds of some vehicles reached 50mph and PC Baker advised that any funding available for traffic calming measures within Girton should be channelled into the Girton College end of the village.
2. Footpaths. The Clerk will contact Highways about the poor condition of the Pepys Way and the Woodlands Park footpaths to see if they can be included in future pathway improvement plans. The Highways Authority is currently assessing the condition of the pavements along Hicks Lane.
3. Community Safety Partnership. The Police Crime Reduction Unit would like to organise a meeting for people who live and work in Girton to help improve the security of their sheds, garages and outbuildings. This will consist of a 30-minute presentation followed by a discussion and a review of some products and the supply of booklets. The proposed date is Saturday 26th July in the Pavilion at about 12.30. For further details and confirmation of the date and time, please contact the Clerk on C. 472181. Thank You.
4. Litter Picking. The next organised litter pick is Saturday July 26th between 9am and 12 midday on the Recreation Ground. The Cambridge Academy of English have very kindly supplied someone to pick litter on the Recreation Ground area from 23rd June until 1st August. After this date, the Parish Council will be looking for someone to litter pick around the pavilion for 3 hours a week, at the rate of £5 per hour. If you are interested, please contact the Parish Office.
5. Benches at Pump Garden. Many thanks to all those who responded to this advertisement to donate a commemorative bench to replace the broken one at the Pump Garden. The Open Spaces Committee meets next on 22nd July and a decision will be made then whether the space at Pump Garden is enough to accommodate the three benches offered. Meanwhile, the Clerk will be contacting those who showed an interest in this project.
6. Track between the School and the Recreation Ground. The gate has now been ordered to go along here to deter unnecessary vehicles. It is hoped this will be installed in the very near future.
7. Girton Town Charity. The Parish Council understands that there is to be an open meeting to discuss the details of the sale of the Town Charity land to Wimpey. The meeting will be held on Thursday 10th July 2003 at 7.30pm in the Girton Glebe School Hall.
8. Overgrown hedges. The Parish Council is receiving numerous complaints about overhanging hedges and trees. Please be aware of any overgrown trees and hedges on your property, which might cause a problem on footpaths around the village or cause problems with your neighbours. Thank You.
9. Local Bus Service. Following comments at the Annual Parish Meeting it has been agreed to monitor the reliability of bus services to the Village. Can reports of any problems with late buses, missing services etc please be forwarded to me at the Parish Office? Alternatively these responses can go directly to Councillor Michael Wilson who ultimately will be co-ordinating and dealing with them. He can be reached on C. 511229 or via his email address, which is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please supply date, time, bus-stop location and service operator if known, along with details of the problem.
10. Forthcoming Parish Council Meetings. The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Wednesday 16th July. The timings of the Parish Council and Planning meetings will be slightly different during the month of August 2003. There will be no Parish Council Meeting on Wednesday 20th August but an extra Planning meeting will be held at St Vincent's Close on Wednesday 27th August. If there are urgent Council matters to be discussed, these will be added to this Planning Agenda. The next Parish Council meeting will be at 7.45pm on 17th September at Orchard Close.