Minutes of Parish Meetings
Minutes of the Parish Council Meeting - October 2005
The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk.
1. A14 Compensation letter. The Parish Council have received several requests for advice regarding the letter received by many residents in the village from property compensation specialists. The Councils view is that individuals should seek independent legal advice before proceeding with any claim.
2. Cycleway/footway from Histon to Girton. The Council were given a presentation by a Cambridgeshire County Council officer who explained the proposal was to install a cycleway/footway from Histon to the cycleway/footway between Girton and Oakington. The project is being funded through the Growth Area Delivery Grant which are funds designated for the preparation of the infrastructure around the new development of Northstowe. Phase I will be the construction of the cycleway from the corner of Oakington Road and New Road to the bridge on New Road. The officer said the work will start towards the end of October and will take up to 8 weeks to complete. The road will be closed for the 2-3 weeks during the laying of pipes with traffic controls during the rest of the work. The school bus to IVC might be diverted during part of the works. Plans are available for viewing at the Parish Office.
3. Community land at Wellbrook Way. Plans are proceeding with a new acre of land having been offered to the Parish Council. The Council plan to appoint a surveyor and instruct the architect to draw up new plans for the community room, local equipped area of play and bowling green.
4. New appointment on the Parish Council. The Parish Council would like to welcome Stephen Tutt to the Council and look forward to working with him during his tenure.
5. Youth Work. The youth worker is now working in the village and has been liaising with local schools. Two new clubs are now operating at the Cotton Hall on Wednesdays for 13-16 year olds from 6.30-8.30pm and Thursdays for 8-12 year olds from 5.30-7.30pm.
6. Girton Town Charity. GTC have commissioned MORI to carry out a survey concerning the activities of the Charity. They will carry out face-to-face interviews with 300 villagers during the late autumn. The Charity hope that those residents approached will help by agreeing to participate.
7. Proposed wind turbine. The feasibility report presented to the Parish Council was not considered to be detailed enough for the Council to make an informed decision on whether or not to support such a project. The Council proposed to support the aims of the renewable energy project but stated more information on wind turbines and other means of saving energy was required.
8. Parking on Smithy Green. The Council have received complaints about parking on verges and on Smithy Green during busy times at the Recreation Ground and the Church.
9. Nuisance Calls. The Council have been informed of a company operating in the area selling security systems over the telephone who are renowned for their hard sell tactics. If you would prefer not to receive such calls it is worth registering with the Telephone Preference Service on 0845 0700707.
10. Forthcoming Meetings. The next Parish Council meetings will be held on Wednesday 2 November and Wednesday 23 November in St Vincent's Close Community Centre. Both meetings will begin at 7.30pm.