Notes of Parish Meetings
Notes of the Parish Council Meeting - April 2006
The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk.
1. Development of NIAB site. The Parish Council have submitted its objections to the proposed development of Objection Site No. 3 - land between Huntingdon Road and Histon Road, and Objection Site No 4 - Anglia Ruskin University land in front of the Felix Hotel. The Parish Council were given a brief presentation by Green Issues Communications and Bidwells on behalf of the developer David Wilson Homes at its meeting on 19th April. The Councillors firmly expressed their concerns for the need to maintain a green division between the NIAB development and Girton and about traffic flow and drainage. The speakers urged as many people as possible to attend the public workshops to be held on 12th and 13th May at New Hall. For more details please telephone Rachel Carson at Green Issues Communications on 0118 959 1211.
2. Footway Lights. Cambridgeshire County Council have refused to take on responsibility from the District Council for the 36 footway lights in Girton as they say the lights do not meet the County Council's specification criteria for street lighting. To ensure that the lights were not switched off on April 1st deadline the Parish Council agreed to take on responsibility for power and routine maintenance of the lights for one year. The Parish Council will continue to press CCC to pay for the lights which the Parish Council consider to be CCC's responsibility.
3. Parish Council Election. The result of the election was uncontested and the Return of Names of Persons Elected has been received by the Clerk. There were insufficient numbers of persons elected to fill all the seats so the Parish Council will proceed to fill the two vacancies by co-option. The first meeting of the new Council is the Annual General Meeting on 17th May.
4. Replacement of Parish Council Notice Boards. The Open Spaces Committee are to look at the possibility of replacing the three notice boards in the village with the addition of a notice board at Wellbrook Way. In particular the notice board on Cambridge Road at the entrance to the Recreation Ground car park is in a poor state of repair.
5. Renovation of Football Pitches. The Parish Council have agreed the costs for the main football pitch on the Recreation Ground to be over seeded and top dressed. The work will be carried out at the end of the football season in May.
6. Benches on the Recreation Ground. The Recreation Ground Committee have agreed to provide some additional seating in front of the church wall which has been taken down near to the climbing apparatus. The Committee are researching suitable benches.
7. Signage at the Recreation Ground. The Recreation Ground Committee are in the process of providing signage in the car park area which will indicate where the football pitches, 10 Acre Field, trim-track, Girton Wood and dog-walking route are located.
8. Forthcoming meetings. The Parish Council Annual General Meeting will be held on Wednesday 17th May at Orchard Close Community Centre. The meeting will begin at 7.30pm.