Notes of Parish Meetings
Notes from the Parish Council Meeting - May 2007
The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk.
1. Parish Council Chairman. At the Council's AGM Douglas de Lacey was voted in as Chairman with Mark Taylor as Vice Chair.
2. Vacancies on the Parish Council. There are two vacancies on the Parish Council due to the resignations of Andrew Meek and Stephen Tutt. The Council would like to thank Andrew for his 21 years on the Council and wish Andrew and Alison every happiness in their new home. The Council would also like to thank Stephen for his work as Chairman on the Recreation Ground Committee.
3. Benches. Two new benches have been put in place in the village. One to replace the broken bench at the corner of Hicks Lane and Cambridge Road and the other to replace the stolen bench in Washpit Lane. The benches are made from heavy duty recycled plastic which is durable, weatherproof and should require very little maintenance.
4. Noticeboards. Two new noticeboards have been erected, at the Post Office and to replace the noticeboard at the Thornton Road shops. If you wish to place a notice on any Council noticeboard please contact the Clerk.
5. Telephone kiosk on Cambridge Road. We have been informed by BT that they will not be removing this kiosk because the District Council have objected to its removal. The grounds for their objection was that the kiosk is located in the proposed conservation area and "…it is unfortunate that the way to solve anti-social behaviour and vandalism is to remove a village facility rather than address the issue through the proper legal channels."
6. Electricity charges at the Pavilion. Electricity costs at the Pavilion are due to increase by about 50% because Powergen have not recorded the correct meter reading since the Pavilion was opened in 2000.
7. Lighting in Girton. There is the possibility of doing an Environmental Visual Audit in collaboration with the local Police and one area we will be looking at is blackspots in street lighting. Midsummer is not the best time to do this but if residents are aware of areas of poor lighting please would you contact the Clerk. Our new Police Community Support Officer is Karen Mahoney.
8. Forthcoming meetings. The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Wednesday 20 June and Wednesday 18 July 2007 at Orchard Close Community Centre. The meetings will begin at 7.30pm.