Notes of Parish Meetings
Notes from the Parish Council Meeting - July 2007
The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk.
1. Two new Parish Councillors. The Parish Council are pleased to welcome Mr Len Sparling and Mr Chris Starling on to the Council.
2. North-West Cambridge. The Joint Members Group of Cambridge City, Cambridge County and South Cambridge District Councils recently agreed the basic "footprint" for the North-West Cambridge site. This has now been approved by SCDC and approved with major qualifications by the City. The Parish Council will be closely monitoring further developments.
3. Sunday bus service. The Clerk has received a response from Stagecoach following a request that they reinstate the Sunday evening bus service. The reply states that they have no plans to operate any later services at this time as this would not be financially viable. The Clerk also complained about buses speeding through the village. Stagecoach have assured us that they take this complaint very seriously and will look in to the matter immediately.
4. New beverage carton recycling scheme in Girton. South Cambridgeshire District Council, in conjunction with Tetra Pak Ltd and the carton industry body ACE UK (Alliance for Beverage Cartons and the Environment), is launching new beverage carton recycling collection facilities throughout South Cambridgeshire next month to give residents the opportunity to recycle even more of their household rubbish.
Each year, UK beverage carton manufacturers produce approximately 55,000 tonnes of paper-based cartons for milk, juice, sauces and other liquid foods/drinks. This equates to around 2.3kg of cartons per household which could be recycled instead of thrown in the rubbish bin. In response, South Cambridgeshire is working with the carton industry to establish carton collection points at key Recycling Centres for residents to take their empty cartons to be recycled.
The new project means that used cartons can now be recycled through a special collection bin at the Girton Recreation Ground. Once collected they can be taken away to be baled, transported to a recycling mill. They can be recycled into a number of different products, ranging from plasterboard liner to high-strength paper bags and envelopes.
For more information on recycling in South Cambridgeshire call 08450 450 063 or visit www.scambs.gov.uk For more information on beverage carton recycling, visit www.tetrapakrecycling.co.uk.
5. Cutting back overhanging hedges. Now the nesting season is over please would people start to attend to their hedges, which should be trimmed right back to their boundary.
6. Forthcoming meeting. The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Wednesday 19 September 2007 at St Vincent's Close Community Centre. The meeting will begin at 7.30pm.