Notes of Parish Meetings
Notes from the Parish Council Meeting - February 2008
The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk. The full minutes may be found here.
1. Event on the proposed Congestion Charge. The County Council have agreed to host an extra exhibition on the proposed Transport Infrastructure Fund bid (which will include some form of road pricing). This will be held in The Pavilion on the Recreation Ground on 12 February 3-7pm. A representative from the Council will also speak to the Parish Council meeting on 20 February and as always members of the public are welcome to attend. The Consultation period has been extended, as a result of these extra meetings, to the end of February. The original plan proposed cutting Girton in half with the charging cordon though we hope this has already been amended. We would encourage all residents of the village to look at the proposals presented at these meetings and make their views known either at the time or through the County Council website at www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk.
2. Northstowe Planning Application. The full Planning Application has now been received and copies of the main documents may be viewed in the Parish Council office. There is also a 3 CD set which can be borrowed by arrangement with the Clerk. The Consultation period runs until 31 March but the Parish Council would be grateful to have copies of any representations you wish to make before our 20 February meeting.
3. Diseased Horse-Chestnut trees on Recreation Ground. Several of the Horse-Chestnuts on the Church boundary are infected with Phytophthera (Bleeding Canker) which is a fatal disease. At least three will therefore have to be felled though we hope to preserve the rest through some rather fierce tree surgery to remove dead and diseased branches; and the Council is looking to plant other species to preserve the avenue.
4. Fencing between the tennis courts and MUGA. To stop basket balls from accidentally entering the tennis courts and MUGA, a 2 metre high chain link fence is to be erected to the top of the existing wooden fence on both sides.
5. Footpath improvements. The new footpath linking Girton and Histon is now in use. A new permissive footpath has been provided by the County Council between the Girton Wood (top corner of the Ten Acre Field) and the Histon Wood. The former permissive footpath to the northwest (at Beckbrook Farm) is to be upgraded to a public bridleway. A map showing the new routes is on the Parish noticeboards.
6. Appointment of new Trustee to Girton Town Charity. The Council are pleased to announce the appointment of Mr Bryan Pycock as a Parish Council Trustee to Girton Town Charity. Mr Pycock replaces Mr Michael Woodisse who has resigned after many years as a Parish Council Trustee of the Town Charity. We would like to thank Mr Woodisse for his dedicated service.
7. Forthcoming meetings The next Parish Council meetings will be held on Wednesday 20 February and Wednesday 19 March at St Vincent's Close Community Centre. The meetings will begin at 7.30pm.