Notes of Parish Meetings
Notes from the Parish Council Meeting - December 2008
The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk. The full minutes may be found here.
1. Public Consultation on NIAB Development. Residents of Girton should have received a letter from South Cambridgeshire DC concerning a proposal to site an extra 920 homes in an extended NIAB site development. This would mean that the development will extend into the green belt leaving only an extremely narrow strip separating it from Girton village. The Parish Council was given a presentation by a South Cambs Officer on the proposal and will be formulating a response to object to this encroachment. We urge all residents to respond to South Cambs by the deadline of 12th December 2008.
2. Town End Close Councillors have met with Natural England to discuss the management of this site. Works will include hedge cutting, fencing, and a water supply to permit grazing and to safeguard the historic ridge and furrow which is an important part of our medieval heritage.
3. Support to Victims of Hate Crime. Confidential one-to-one drop-in sessions are available to provide support and give advice to victims/witnesses of hate crime who are reluctant to report any hate incidents to the police. For further information please contact; Rukshana Begum, Open Out Co-ordinator, Community Cohesion Unit, at Parkside Police Station on 01223 823552.
4. Village Benefits Advice Service. Cambridgeshire County Council provides an advice service for people on how to apply for welfare benefits. Please contact Anjela Davis on 01223 715901 or Ian Collins on 01223 715900 for information.
5. Abbeyfield Society. A short report will be made in January about the consultation meeting in the village on 25th November about the proposed new Abbeyfield Sheltered Housing Home at Wellbrook Way.
6. Plug into Dance. Impington Village College is supporting a campaign to get people of all ages dancing for fun, health, and enjoyable socials. A Festival of Dance will be held in February 2009. Local ideas for this will be welcome! For more information contact Amy Wormald, Arts Development Manager, on 01954 288748.
7. Parish Chairman. Cllr Douglas de Lacey, our Parish Chairman, is taking an extended holiday in Australia from 4 December to 7 March 2009. Cllr Sam Clift, one of the two Vice Chairmen on the Council, will deputise at Council meetings during this period. Emails to Chairman@girton-cambs.org.uk will be received by the two Vice Chairmen.
Forthcoming Meetings. The next Parish Council meetings will be held on Wednesday 17th December, and Wednesday 21st January 2009 at St Vincent's Close Community Centre. The meetings will begin at 7.30pm.