Notes of Parish Meetings
Notes from the Parish Council Meeting - January 2009
The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk. The full minutes may be found here.
1. Public Consultation on proposed "Objection" site development Girton Parish Council has worked closely with Histon & Impington Parish Councils to make representations to South Cambridgeshire District Council on proposals to build an additional 920 houses on land adjacent to NIAB. Cambridge City Council has also raised concerns about congestion, and reducing the greenbelt.
2. Crime in Girton At the time of writing in the second week of December the village is experiencing a crime wave. The police have increased their patrols in the village overnight (including deploying staff in plain clothes) and will be increasing their use of stop-search powers. Residents are asked to report any suspicious activity especially overnight on 0845 4564564, or use 999 if they believe a crime is being committed and make sure that items of value are removed from parked cars, and that their homes are secure.
3. Recreation Ground Groups using The Pavilon at night are suffering annoyance from a group of local youths who take delight in kicking footballs, and rugby balls against the walls, windows, and balcony railings regardless of the distress they have been causing. They have also moved and climbed on a goalpost to gain access to the balcony. This is a Health & Safety issue as our grounds man has advised that this could cause the posts to become unstable, and dangerous. The police have received reports of disturbance, and will monitor.
4. Abbeyfield Society Abbeyfield is planning a 'state of the art' development in Wellbrook Way to be completed in 2011. This will be an extra care scheme consisting 18 one bed flats, 54 two bed 2 bath flats, and 4 three bed 2 bath flats. Residents will be provided with a range of support services delivered by a team of staff based within the scheme. More information is available on their website.
5. Village Tree Audit Hayden's have completed a tree survey of Girton Parish Council sites, and recommended a programme of works over the coming years. Overall the village trees on our open spaces were found to be in good health but some will require felling and replacing.
6. Sponsorship of planted tubs As you may have noticed the planted tubs around the village have been replanted with winter bedding by Peter Graves as a "goodbye" present by Wimpeys. These will need offers of sponsorship for future replanting in 2009 and future years. Offers to the Parish Clerk please.
7. Replacement of "Monkey Bars" The Logworld Monkey Bars have been removed from the children's play area on the recreation ground as they have reached the end of their useful life. The Parish Council has yet to decide on a new piece of play equipment to be installed in their place and would be pleased to receive ideas from local children.
Forthcoming Meetings. The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Wednesday Wednesday 21st January 2009 at St Vincent's Close Community Centre. The meeting will begin at 7.30pm.