Notes of Parish Meetings
Notes from the Parish Council Meeting - December 2009
The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk. The full minutes may be found here.
1. Wellbrook Way - Girton Parish Council has approved the construction of a bowling green on Wellbrook Way subject to community monies becoming available from Wimpeys to fund the project. It will be on the public open space area opposite the site of the new Abbeyfield Development. We hope work will start on the laying of the green early in 2010 when Wimpey will be constructing a children's play area on the same site. The preparation of a bowling green is a long job but we hope it will be available for use in 2012.
Negotiations by SCDC to transfer the maintenance of all the open spaces at Wellbrook Way from Wimpeys to Girton Parish Council are gathering momentum. If all goes well this will occur by spring next year.
2. Girton Feast Week - Following the success of this year's Feast Week the Parish Council has agreed to make this a biennial event. Planning for the 2011 Feast Week has already started. It is hoped that this one will be bigger, better, and more exciting even than 2009. To achieve this, the organisers need the continuing support of sponsors. Girton Parish Council has significantly increased its community grant to £3000. We hope others will follow! We shall also welcome volunteers for planning and supporting the event.
3. New look for Pavilion Changing Rooms - Councillor Len Sparling and Alan Richardson stepped in recently to help improve our facilities, Len refreshed our four rather tired looking changing rooms by repainting the walls. Undaunted by the effort he has said he will next tackle the ceilings! Alan took the lead in replacing the light bulbs, and repairing all the units on our multi-use games area. Evening players can now see clearly once more.
4. How to complain - We hope it will not be necessary, but guidance for residents who wish to make a complaint was approved by the Parish council on 18th November. This will be made available on the village website, or via the Parish Office.
5. Consultation by Cambridgeshire County Council - Residents may wish to comment on the proposed Core Traffic Scheme for Cambridge. Further details: http://tinyurl.com/y8k88he or by telephoning Judith Stephens on 01223 814491. The deadline is 11th December 2009.
6. NHS Consultation on Out of Hours Services - The Council has received copies of an NHS consultation document seeking comments on the future of out of hours services for residents. The deadline is: 21st December 2009. If you would care to be involved please contact the Clerk.
7. Working Party on the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 - The Council hopes to review access to parish facilities, recreation areas, and Council meetings in the coming year. Members of the village with expertise in this area and time to contribute are invited to contact the Parish Office
8. News from the recreation ground - As many residents of the village may have already spotted a new green fence with yellow gates has been installed adjacent to the car park at the recreation ground. This is designed to improve the safety of the many users of the play area, and forms an important part of our dog control policy.
Forthcoming Meeting. The next Parish Council meeting will be held on Wednesday 16th December 2009 at St Vincent's Close Community Centre. The meeting will begin at 7.30pm. Members of the Parish are welcome to speak during the public session.