Girton village website

Notes of Parish Meetings

Notes from the Parish Council Meeting - September 2011

The following were amongst items discussed at Parish Council meetings and information received by the Clerk. The full minutes may be found here.

August Council Meeting
The main purpose of the August meeting is merely to approve payments, but there were a few other items which the Council considered as well. At the start the Chairman announced that the Council will call an open meeting on 6 September to discuss the replacement of the willow at Woody Green. A member of the public was then invited to speak and explained that there had already been discussion among the near-by residents who had produced a variety of suggestions. She was thanked by the Chairman for her work, which will be fed into the decision process. The Chairman also read out a letter concerning the recent extremely noisy fireworks at the College, and councillors agreed to endorse that and request a copy of the response.

The Council has agreed in principle to perform a traffic count through the village, largely to provide us with a baseline for discussions with officers and planers as the various large developments around Girton begin to unfold. This will probably happen in October.

The Parish Council
We are still looking for a new Clerk and it is not too late (just!) to put in an application if you are interested. We are also looking for one person to co-opt onto the Council: please contact the Chairman if interested.

SCDC has invited the Parish Council to take responsibility for clearing the extensive fly-tipping at the entrance to Wellbrook Way, and we have been inviting tenders for the work which we hope will soon be completed.

The Duck End Roundabout
Many residents will be aware that a large branch fell from the willow tree at Duck End on 5 August, and the tree was found to be rotten and in a dangerous state. We therefore reluctantly decided that it would have to be felled.

All parishioners are invited to a meeting at 7.30pm on Tuesday 6 September at the Cotton Hall to discuss the replacement. Cllr Ray Gordon, Chairman of the Environment Committee, will chair this meeting.

Wellbrook Way Residents Association?
Residents of Wellbrook Way are invited to a public meeting on Saturday 10 September at 10.00am in the Cotton Hall to discuss the formation of a Residents' Association. If you are interested but unable to attend please inform the Parish Chairman.

Planters
Although most of the planters are looking very well, a few are suffering from neglect, and we would be grateful for more volunteers to water and dead-head them. If you live near one and could take it on, please let the Clerk know. And the Autumn/Winter planting will take place in October, so if you would like to become a sponsor of a planter please ask the Clerk for details.

Hedges and Footways
Despite our request last month, we have had several complaints about overgrown hedges. If your hedge is growing into a footway, whether a roadside pavement or any other path, you have a responsibility to trim it back to your own boundary. Please may we ask all our residents to ensure that this is done speedily.

Town End Close
As part of our management of the Nature Reserve at Town End Close we put a small number of calves in to graze and these will soon arrive. A notice will remind users of this, and also that dogs are never permitted in the Reserve.

Forthcoming Meetings
The next meetings of the Parish Council will be on Wednesday 21 September 2011 and Wednesday 19 October 2011, starting at 7.30pm at St Vincent's Close Community Centre. Members of the public are welcome to attend all Parish Council meetings and to speak in the open session at the start.