Focus on the Post Office
We feared we were going to lose our Post Office altogether at the end of last year, but in February it re-opened in a Portakabin right next door to The George public house. Interestingly, this may be a return to an earlier location, as John Aworth, sub-postmaster from about 1916 to 1922, is said to have run the Post Office from the cottage next to The George - although whether to the right or the left of the pub isn't clear!
From her cosy cubicle at the back of the Portakabin, Michelle Reed continues to dispense all the usual Post Office services to the residents of Girton. Letters and parcels are posted, bills and Council Tax are paid, pensions are collected, and phones are topped up. As in the old Post Office, there is also a cash dispenser, a really useful facility for Girton residents. Equally important is the efficient yet still friendly way in which Michelle cheerfully dispenses smiles with the stamps and pleasantries with the postal orders. There is a constant to-ing and fro-ing as people come in, conduct their business, exchange a few sociable remarks on the weather or current events, and depart.
The Post Office is closed from noon until 3pm on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays, when Michelle is working in The George during its busy lunchtime period. Wednesdays and Saturdays are half-days, as before.
Michelle doesn't miss the shop which was part of the Dodford Lane business, although there may be residents at that end of the village who do miss its convenience. Nowadays she is very much her own boss, and finds the new arrangements keep her fully occupied without being overwhelming. The Post Office also seems happy, as situating the Portakabin on The George's land keeps another village Post Office from disappearing. So we hope very much that Girton will continue to be provided with viable Post Office services for many years to come.
"Focus on Girton" is a series of occasional articles on the organisations of Girton. Articles are written independently by members of the editorial team of the Girton Parish News with the consent and cooperation of the organisation concerned. The selection of organisations featured is entirely at the discretion of the editorial team. The articles do not in themselves represent an endorsement of the aims or activities of organisations. No link exists between the publication of an article and any paid advertising in the Girton Parish News, whether in the same issue or more generally. The article may also be found on the Girton Parish website at www.girton-cambs.org.uk.